HOW TO YOU CARE FOR YOUR DIAMONDMarch 11, 2020
When you invest in a beautiful piece of diamond jewellery, whether it’s a diamond ring, diamond earrings, diamond necklace or diamond bracelet, it’s only natural to want to take care of it so it continues looking its best. This care guide from REIGNE JEWELLERY aims to arm you with necessary knowledge to keep your diamond jewellery shining bright and looking exceptional.
Steps for Everyday care
Diamonds are a 10 out of 10 on the Mohs scale of hardness, meaning the only thing that can scratch a diamond is another diamond. But despite their hardness, the importance of taking proper care of your diamond jewellery cannot be understated.
Here are some simple steps you can take on a regular basis to look after your diamonds, ensuring you can treasure them for many years to come:
- Take your diamond jewellery off before engaging in physical activity that could damage the jewellery or cause it to loosen and fall off, such as sports, exercise, cooking and swimming.
- Avoid exposing your jewellery to oily substances that could affect the shine and brilliance of diamonds. Substances that can cause diamonds to become dull include soap, cooking oil, hand creams and oily foods.
- Be gentle with your jewellery to ensure prongs and settings holding diamonds in place don’t become damaged.
- Keep your diamond jewellery away from harsh chemicals and solutions such as household cleaning products, pool chlorine and perfumes.
- Clean your diamond jewellery regularly with a soft, lint-free cloth. You can also use a mixture of warm water and soap with a soft-bristled toothbrush to gently scrub diamonds clean. If needed, you can soak your jewellery in the soapy solution for 5 minutes. Afterwards, dry the jewellery with a soft cloth.
- If your diamond starts to look dull, bring it into REIGNE JEWELLERY for a professional clean. We exhibit the utmost professionalism when handling all jewellery during the polishing process and can restore your diamond jewellery back to its sparkling best.
Diamond Care Frequently Asked Questions
We often receive questions from our customers relating to caring for diamonds. Here are our answers to some of the most common questions:
A diamond can appear cloudy for several reasons. The most common of these is the accumulation of dirt, oil and grime on the diamond’s facets, which can cause it to sparkle less due to less light being able to enter the diamond. A cloudy appearance in a diamond can also be caused by the clarity of the diamond being poor, making it important to buy from a reputable jeweller such as REIGNE JEWELLERY when shopping for diamond jewellery.
Professional jewellers can clean diamond jewellery using different methods depending on the type of jewellery and how it’s been made. If it’s a fragile piece, the clean may be done with a soft bristle toothbrush and delicate cleaning solution in order to remove dirt and grime. Otherwise, the jewellery will be placed in an ultrasonic jewellery cleaner. This machine vibrates at a high rate in order to dislodge any particles clinging to the diamond or metal.
For diamond jewellery that’s worn often, such as a ring, a quick polish and clean may be required once every two weeks, with a professional clean every 6 months. For diamond necklaces, bracelets and earrings that are only worn occasionally, a polish and clean might only be needed a few times a year.
It’s impossible to clean a diamonds too much due to the hardness and durability of diamond. However, it is possible for extensive cleaning to cause damage to certain metals or platings surrounding a diamond. If you’re concerned about how often you should be cleaning your jewellery, the experts at REIGNE JEWELLERY can advise you on the recommended frequency for your special piece.
While diamonds are strong, baking soda and vinegar have been known to cause damage or dullness due to how powerful they are. It’s recommended that you instead use warm soapy water to safely clean your diamond jewellery.
Contact REIGNE JEWELLERY for Our Range of Diamond Jewellery
Now that you know how to properly care for your diamond pieces, perhaps it’s time to add to your collection. If you’re looking for exquisite diamond jewellery that you can treasure forever, contact REIGNE JEWELLERY to find out more about our range.